Friday, June 28, 2013

tinyMMO - a New Beginning

Now it is 2013.  My day job is now mostly front-end web app programming so my JavaScript kung-fu has gotten quite strong.  Now feels like a good time to once again take up this (hopeless?) quest to make a small, fun, good looking browser MMORPG.  But here is the downside.  I work full time at a startup, I have kids, and I live on a farm.  Not exactly a lifestyle that can tolerate hours of daily hacking.

Add some gray hairs and this is me.

So I will need some help.  First off is artwork.  Luckily I participated in the Liberated Pixel Cup, a competition run by OpenGameArt last year.   So I know there is a bunch of good quality RPG artwork available there.  


Pictured: me saving literally 100's of hours doodling

Second, this new version will use node.js on the backend.  While I have toyed with node, I am far from adept at using it.  That is where Michael will come in.  Michael is an all-around server and backend expert and has graciously offered to help out on the project.  This will fill a big void in my skillset and already Michael has created a PaaS architecture for us to use.  I know, I barely understand that sentence too.


Wait, then I attackclone the grit repo pushmerge?

Next, this game needs a storyline (ie. a reason to be).  I know from past experience that coming up with an interesting world and filling in all the necessary events and dialog is a massive undertaking.  That is why I am really happy to welcome Sarah to the team.  Sarah is a creative writing student and RPG aficionado.  She has offered to spend some of her precious summer break helping craft a world for us.

Shown: some of Sarah's awesomeness

This still leaves some holes in the team, but I feel we can make a really good start now.  I will be making updates whenever I feel we have something cool to show which I hope will be once a week or so.

Here is to hope for the hopeless!

No comments:

Post a Comment